[NAGDU] Navigation systems - Interesting information on independent navigation for the blind

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Dec 4 14:35:15 UTC 2015

I use Blind Square, mostly.  Like Debby said, it will only get you close,
but, if you're close enough, you can ask your dog to find the door.
GPS has 2 problems one must always keep in mind.  One is that it doesn't
distinguish between streets with sidewalks and streets without, and neither
does it distinguish between highways and streets, even if you're walking.  I
once asked a GPS program how to walk to some place in the next town, and it
said I should take the highway.  NOT!
The other problem I have is that the maps don't seem to be updated very
often.  Places that went out of business years ago are still listed.  So, if
you trust the GPS, you could think you're going to a diner, and end up in a
stripper bar, just for example.  Or vice versa.
So, though GPS is handy, it's by no means infallible.
Tracy