[NAGDU] Going through airport security with your dog

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 12 20:50:10 UTC 2015

I have traveled through both Canadian and American airports with my guide dog, and I have had her harness on and had her leash guide me. In both countries, airport security has allowed us to go through and then wanded me and my dog (I take off the harness if they wish to wand her). I tend to wear clothing with metal bits that set off the alarms anyway (buttons, snaps, little decorative rivets on jeans), whether intentionally or by accident (read: poor planning), so I tend to set off the alarms anyway.  The first time I went through airport security, Jenny wasn't sure what to make of it when they wanded me, and an agent flipped out when I tried to bend down and put my foot on jenny's leash. I explained that she was uncertain, and if I could just have her lay down and have my foot on her leash, she would calm down and they could go about their business, which is ultimately what they all wanted.

The next flight I took, a TSA agent actually took my dog away from me, which I realize now was completely unacceptable. I flipped out, and the group I was with basically watched the agent with my dog, then had her back to me quickly. Since then, I've always carried a copy of what TSA agents are allowed to do as it pertains to service dogs. I have also never been willing to be separated from my guide dog in an airport again.

I completely agree with Raven that your dog should be able to sit and stay while you go through security, but I also understand Morgan's reluctance to go through security separately.

Daryl