[NAGDU] Food - feeding extra

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:49:56 UTC 2015

I think if you live a lifestyle that changes from day-to-day, changing
food amount on a daily or bidaily basis is more suitable. If almost
everyday is the same for you, then it suits you and your dog to feed
the same amounts each day.

For the past 1.5 years, I have lived a lifestyle that can range from
sitting around all day to walking 4 miles or heavy play sessions some
days. Since I only feed 1 meal daily, I notice that on more active
days, my dog will linger in the kitchen around the fridge, waiting for
food to appear, so I feed a 2nd meal on those days. Now that I know
he'll be more hungry, I just feed a large amount of food at once if I
know the day will be more active.
This makes sense to me because on less active days, when I spend a lot
of time writing and editing, I also eat less -- 2 meals or one meal
and a late snack. On days where I'm on my feet and active for hours at
a time, like when I'm at LDB, I eat 3 full meals.

I also gorge and fast my dog every 2 or 3 weeks for cleansing, so his
food amount ranges from 8 oz to 3 lbs throughout the month. And I
typically feed less during the winter time since I am generally less
active during this time of year.

No, it isn't healthy for a dog's weight to yo-yo, but it does happen.
What I would suggest and what the guide dog schools do about it are 2
different things. The guide dog schools suggest, at least to families
who are hosting breeding stock or puppy-raising, that the food amount
is adjusted every so often to compensate for the fluxuations in
weight.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs