[NAGDU] Tasks - New routine!

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 18 16:40:03 UTC 2015

Hi Morgan,

I'm glad you liked the suggestions. :-)
Our dogs are usually very open and eager to learn new things. Many of those
ideas I got from google but like you, I wasn't sure how to start teaching a
task but in practice, it was always easier than in my mind.
For example with the "Bring!" command: I told Taylor to sit, then put socks
in front of him on the floor. I pointed to them and said: "Bring!". He
jumped to grab them and I rewarded this with a treat or just praised him. If
I remember correctly, I then took the socks out of his mouth and praised him
for that again. So he quickly understood if he gave me the socks, I'd be
happy or even give him another delicious treat.
Then I made him sit again and put the socks on the floor. I went a little
farther away, a few metres, and then said: "Bring!" I could hear he grabbed
the socks and I just stretched my hands out in front of me and if he
wouldn't come, I'd call him. He then came running and sometimes dropped the
socks in front of me, then I repeated the whole task. If he didn't just drop
the socks but put it in my hands, I gave him a treat/praise.
It sounds very theoretical in a message. It's much more fun in real life.
;-) You'll find ways to make your dog understand what you want from them.
Oh, and of course you should repeat one step of a task several times before
you start the next one so the dog is happy and keeps working.

Lisa