[NAGDU] Food Question

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 13:32:13 UTC 2015

Cindy,
When dogs are fed quality foods containing more macros and
micro-nutrients, they need far less to achieve the same nourishment
and weight as dogs fed highly processed foods packed with fillers. So
a dog 55-60 lbs or under might only need to eat 1.5 cups of a quality
food compared to the 2-3 cups of highly processed junk-filled foods
many schools feed.

Christina, if you need to get snappy, go there. All of us who obtain
guide dogs while living with family or roommates struggle to deal with
people challenging the way we do things. It could be training
techniques, behavior management, diet, interaction restrictions, etc,
and people will argue with you. This isn't to say others are always
wrong, not by any stretch, but if they don't have your same goals in
mind, then what they have to contribute is empty arguments.
Explain to them what you have here. Explain to them how TSE showed you
to check your dog's weight and physique, and explain why you oppose
anyone giving treats to your dog. If people continue to violate your
boundaries after a polite sit-down, sometimes you just have to be
rude. If people think it's okay to disrespect the rules and
restrictions you've set with your dog, then they need to be told
straightforward that they are being extremely inconsiderate of your
feelings, your dog's health, and the relationship between you and your
dog.

I had to do a lot of putting people in their place when I got home
with my dog and the fam wanted to pet him in harness and take him out
to play without my permission like he was a pet. I got rude and
snappy, and didn't mind it one bit. My main concern was establishing
myself as leader and provider, and ensuring that my dog was not
bothered while working. Those who didn't have those same goals in mind
got their heads bit off. Polite reminders are nice, but only when
people listen.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs