[NAGDU] Cricket can growl?

Abby Bolling violingirl30794 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 08:21:06 UTC 2015

Hi all!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
I went to my uncles house for our annual  family get together. My aunt
and uncle have two black labs and they said that of course, cricket was
welcome, that Stella and Lulu would love to play with another dog. Well,
that didn't go as planned.
I was working Cricket into the house because we don't go there very
often, so the layout is very unfamiliar to me.
So Cricket and I are walking up the steps and she is doing really really
good. She steps up and is on the landing and all of a sudden I hear
puppy paws on the wood floor. Crickets harness handle is 20inches long
because she is super short, but this means, when we go up steps, I am
usually two steps behind her. So I wasn't on the landing yet. But all of
a sudden, I feel Crickets head jerk around a little bit, then she turns
to the right to body block me. at this point, I can feel Stella and Lulu
like dancing around Cricket and getting in her  face and jumping at her.
I could tell they were playing, but i have no idea what was going
through Crickets head. I was very surprised when I heard my little 48
pound tiny black lab let out one of the most terrifying growls I have
ever heard. I'm serious, I was taken-aback for a split second.
I corrected her so hard that she actually did a 180 degree turn, but
Stella got back in her face and she growled again. At this point I was
able to get on the landing and correct her hard again, but even through
the fact that the collar was tight around her throat, she was still
trying to growl. At this point, my cousin was able to grab Stella and
then Lulu and put them in a separate room, but Cricket was still wound
up and was jumping in the air. I literally had to almost tackle her to
get her to lay down and calm down.
My family doesn't understand dog corrections, and they cringe and
squawked because they thought I was hurting Cricket. I told them that I
wasn't "hurting her," sure it wasn't comfortable, but I wasn't
debilitating her.

Now the question! In your guys' opinion, did I handle the situation
correctly? Should I not take cricket over there? And what would yall
have done in that situation?
My Boyfriend asked why I didn't take Cricket out to the car, as it is
really warm here, so temperature wise she would have been safe, but I
didn't do that because she has really bad separation anxiety and will
cry and whine and howl if she is left alone very much.
And since I have only had her home for 4 months, I don't want to make
her mad too early in the game.

So anyway, thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? All are appreciated!

Thanks,

Abby and the currently snuggly peaceful sleepy cricket.

--
Abigail M. Bolling
Wright State University-2018: Rehabilitation Services
Email: bolling.8 at wright.edu
Abilities United: Secretary
Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users, a chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio: Secretary
"keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart, and just let the music play." (Julie Anderson-Diamond)
"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no one is listening, and live like it's Heaven on earth." (William Purkey)