[NAGDU] Cricket can growl?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Dec 27 21:01:04 UTC 2015

I have no idea what I would have done.  I'd like to think I'd have been
brilliant and my dog would have behaved and the other dogs would have
magically gone about their business, but the reality is that I don't do so
well thinking on the fly like that.  So I would have reacted by instinct or
what I've done before or whatever.

Things I have done when encountering friendly dogs...
*kept on going about my business
*let my dog greet the other dog
*stood in between the two dogs and shooed the other dog away
*yelled at the owner to get their dog
*had my dog wait in a down until the other dog leaves or the owner comes to
get him

Things I've done to unfriendly dogs...
*turned around and gone another way
*stood between the two dogs and shooed the other dog away
*moved menacingly toward the other dog
*gave the owner what for in colorful language
*recently I kicked a dog who was lunging toward Jetta

Things I've thought about doing but never have:
*taking pictures
*pepper spray
*air horn
*spring loaded umbrella

I have corrected my dogs for acting like a ninny around other dogs.  I've
also had them sit at a reasonable distance to reinforce calm and appropriate
behavior.  I've moved across the street and expected them to continue to
guide.  I've given treats for calm and appropriate behavior.  And yes,
sometimes I let my dogs growl at other dogs, especially if I know my dog is
growling as a correction for socially inappropriate behavior.  Many, many
years ago, I taught obedience classes.  I had Tia then and she was a
wonderful example dog.  A lot of the dogs I worked with didn't have very
good dog to dog social skills and Tia was very, very good at being patient,
but also growling when they crossed the line.  The other dogs weren't
aggressive, just rude and she would communicate to them that they were being
rude.  It helped the other dogs to learn what was okay and what wasn't.
It's how dogs communicate and I don't have a problem with it.  That said,
there is growling and then there is growling and not all growls are created
equally.  A mama dog might growl at her puppies when they are being wild.
She isn't aggressive and she isn't going to hurt the pups, but they need to
know that what they are doing is inappropriate.  Then there is the
food/toy/territory aggressive dog who growls at dogs or people when they get
too close to his food/toy/kennel.  This is not okay and will probably
require a skilled trainer to help.

I think it's good to look back and think about what you could have done
better.  It helps you to process the whole thing and hopefully to do better
next time.  However there comes a point when you just have to let go and
move on.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC