[nagdu] Doggie spazziness/unfocus?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 02:59:44 UTC 2015

This is something I can relate to since I have a somewhat impulsive
dog with a ridiculous amount of energy. There are basically two
strategies I have found that work with my dog when he gets overly
excited.
1. Ignore the behavior. I stand in one place, holding the leash, and
essentially pretend my dog doesn't exist. I don't acknowledge him
until he calms down. I find this is most effective out of harness
since he generally doesn't get quite that excited while working.
Sometimes I will modify this by holding his collar if there isn't a
lot of space.
2. I will give my dog a simple task such as "sit" and pet him calmly
under the chin, making small circles with my hand and keeping in
constant contact with his fur. This is something I learned in training
and it really seems to calm and refocus my dog. I usually use this
more when he is working. Ideally, I can get him to turn away from
whatever is distracting/exciting him while I am calming him down;
however, I sometimes will just stand between him and the distraction.

Danielle and Thai