[nagdu] Doggie spazziness/unfocus?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 11:57:25 UTC 2015

Daryl,

My dogs know where the dog park is too.  If we drive, it's west, north and
west again, if we go anywhere with that pattern of driving,  they start
whining, shivering and generally going nutters.  I tried all the calming
techniques and they work somewhat when I have just one dog, but when there
are two, they egg each other on and I don't have enough hands to attend to
both of them at once.  My answer was to turn the radio up, way up and sing.
Not exactly a standard intervention, but interestingly it worked.

If it's not at the dog park but one of them decides to loose their good
sense, I will typically just wait.  This worked well with Monty when he was
younger.  Now that he's quite a bit older, mostly I can just talk to him to
get him back on track.  He's mellowed out considerably with age.

With Jetta, I learned the stand and wait method does not work.  She is very
single minded and has some seriously intense focus.  If she is distracted by
something, it can quickly turn into almost an OCD behavior.  With her, I
need to take immediate and decisive action.  I have to get her moving, break
the line of sight and possibly correct her.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com