[nagdu] Getting a Guide Dog Soon!

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:30:36 UTC 2015

I agree with Vivianna. If you feel as though a guide dog will bring
financial stress, then the time is not right. Getting a guide dog is
stressful enough, outside of worrying over how you will provide for
the dog.
I saved up $400 before I got my dog to have for a crate, toys, food,
and whatever I might need to buy that I wasn't aware of. I'm not
saying everyone should save up, but you definitely should have extra
money per month that can go toward your dog. And so that's what I did
each month after I submitted my guide dog school application. I set
aside money for 3 months, and that's what I ended up with.
But it really is not fair to get this responsibility, and expect
others to pay for it. I'm not saying that none of us have ever needed
help or used the help offered by our schools, but if you know out of
the gate, that this is demanding on your finances, then I think you
should wait.
GDB and GEB offer veterinary assistance funds for their graduates.
Visit the schools' websites to read more about how much they offer and
what they cover. I've heard of certain organizations offering low-cost
dog food to college students. But I personally am not in favor of
feeding your dog cheap crap because the vet bills will pile on if you
do.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs