[nagdu] Financial support was: Getting a guide dog soon!

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Thu Feb 26 14:05:42 UTC 2015

Hey everybody!

Just wanted to add my experience with guide dogs and financial support.
Helga, I'm sorry, this won't be helpful for you as I'm not living in the US.
Anybody who's interested in the German guide dog system, keep on reading.
;-)

Here in Germany our health insurance system pays for a guide dog. So, after
you've found a school and they've decided you are ready to have a guide, you
have to send your application to your health insurance company. Then there's
always a huge fight and normally they deny you in the beginning. Why?
Because a trained guide dog is expensive. Well, but that's another story. So
once they've agreed, your training starts and after training, you have to do
an exam with an independent person who then writes an advisory opinion for
the health insurance company. And THEN the dog is finally yours. The big
advantage of this long, long way to getting a guide is: After all this
bureaucracy, the health insurance pays you a monthly sum to support you with
taking good care of your dog. It's definitely enough to buy dog food and do
regular visits at the vet. It's also enough to buy toys every now and then
or other extra things.
I know that's a very priviledged situation we're in. I think German law
states because the dog is a service animal who helps you to lead life
independently, it's not up to you to pay for it. But guide dogs are the only
service dogs who are under this law. All others, like hearing dogs, diabetic
alert dogs etc. have to be trained and then be fed  without any financial
support which is quite a big difference.

Lisa