[nagdu] Home alone

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:02:10 UTC 2015

Buddy has made some good points here regarding the leving of dogs at home and the crating of them. Even in obedience classes it is suggested that dogs be placed in a crate out of the center of activity or when you will be gone for the dogs' safety and, sometimes, maybe your own. The dogs are still dogs no matter how well changed, and many of them have puppy-like activities for a very long time. Although those are sometimes annoying, they are endearing, and you wouldn't want their spirit trained out of them. They are crate trained so they can be placed in a crate to minimize risk. Boredom and a little separation anxiety can give thenm a lot of unnecessary and unwanted opportunity.
As for when they are to be left, of course you don't want to get too frequent about it probably, but this is up to the person using that dog. Sometimes circumstances just either require it or make it easier. I never used to leave my dog; I do now more than I did because of some behaviors which I've worked on but which we have not had enough success in curbing. I don't take my dog to convention now because he doesn't get out in crowds much and now with all of the other dogs around and the change from a sedentary moment to a lot of activity over stimulate him and over stimulate people who misread his behavior as totally aggressive. He is crate trained and he likes his crate. I think it is sad to condemn people because they have to leave a dog at home and put it in a crate to protect it, and dogs are forgiving. Even when they would have rather not been in there, when you come home and let them out, they don't hold grudges, they don't judge, they don't complain. They just wiggle and wag and tell you how very glad they are to see you and life goes on.
Cindy