[nagdu] Combo dogs

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 23:41:44 UTC 2015

This is interesting.  I remember being at a meeting once when we
h a speaker who had been a trainer for guide dogs.  He went to
work for CCI (Canine Companions for Independence).  When he first
got there, he could not pick out dogs that were good for service
dogs.  They were great for guiding but not for service.  Often
with service dogs, there needs to be a real willingness, on the
part of the dog, to be obedient.  There is no intelligent
disobedience.  And many people who use service dogs do not have a
lot of physical strength, so if you have a dog, for instance
that's kind of a hard dog, but guides excellently, they will not
make a good service dog.  They will work well, but they also have
a stubborn quality and sometimes need more correction then some
people who need service dogs can do.  So the training between the
two kinds of dogs can be quite different.  Just my 2 cents'
worth.    Blessings,    Debby