[nagdu] Walmart

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sun Jan 4 19:12:51 UTC 2015

This is an ADA Title I issue, not an ADA Title III issue which is seemingly
being referred to.  Six months is not reasonable where the ideology behind
reasonable accommodations come from.  See my last notation in this response
marked with **.

Under ADA Title I, which covers provisions of the law addressing employment,
businesses must provide reasonable accommodations to protect the rights of
individuals with disabilities in all aspects of employment. Possible changes
may include restructuring jobs, altering the layout of workstations, or
modifying equipment. Employment aspects may include the application process,
hiring, wages, benefits, and all other aspects of employment. Medical
examinations are highly regulated.

It is a violation of the  ADA to fail to provide reasonable accommodation to
the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified individual with a
disability, unless to do so would impose an undue hardship on the operation
of the business. Undue hardship means that the accommodation would require
significant difficulty or expense.

Frequently, when a qualified individual with a disability requests a
reasonable accommodation, the appropriate accommodation is obvious. The
individual may suggest a reasonable accommodation based upon her own life or
work experience. However, when the appropriate accommodation is not readily
apparent, the employer must make a reasonable effort to identify one. The
best way to do this is to consult informally with the applicant or employee
about potential accommodations that would enable the individual to
participate in the application process or perform the essential functions of
the job. If this consultation does not identify an appropriate
accommodation, there are a multitude of resources that can help with this.
Another resource is the Job Accommodation Network (JAN). JAN is a free
consultant service that helps employers make individualized accommodations.
The telephone number is 1-800-526-7234.

It is not necessary to provide a reasonable accommodation if doing so would
cause an undue hardship. Undue hardship means that an accommodation would be
unduly costly, extensive, substantial or disruptive, or would fundamentally
alter the nature or operation of the business. Among the factors to be
considered in determining whether an accommodation is an undue hardship are
the cost of the accommodation, the employer's size, financial resources and
the nature and structure of its operation.

If a particular accommodation would be an undue hardship, the employer must
try to identify another accommodation that will not pose such a hardship. If
cost causes the undue hardship, the employer must also consider whether
funding for an accommodation is available from an outside source, such as a
vocational rehabilitation agency, and if the cost of providing the
accommodation can be offset by state or federal tax credits or deductions.
You must also give the applicant or employee with a disability the
opportunity to provide the accommodation or pay for the portion of the
accommodation that constitutes an undue hardship.

The employer and the individual with a disability should engage in an
informal process to clarify what the individual needs and identify the
appropriate reasonable accommodation.  The employer may ask the individual
relevant questions that will enable it to make an informed decision about
the request. This includes asking what type of reasonable accommodation is
needed.  The exact nature of the dialogue will vary. In many instances, both
the disability and the type of accommodation required will be obvious, and
thus there may be little or no need to engage in any discussion. In other
situations, the employer may need to ask questions concerning the nature of
the disability and the individual's functional limitations in order to
identify an effective accommodation. While the individual with a disability
does not have to be able to specify the precise accommodation, s/he does
need to describe the problems posed by the workplace barrier. Additionally,
suggestions from the individual with a disability may assist the employer in
determining the type of reasonable accommodation to provide. Where the
individual or the employer are not familiar with possible accommodations,
there are extensive public and private resources to help the employer
identify reasonable accommodations once the specific limitations and
workplace barriers have been ascertained.(26)

**And finally, how quickly must an employer respond to a request for
reasonable accommodation? An employer should respond expeditiously to a
request for reasonable accommodation. If the employer and the individual
with a disability need to engage in an interactive process, this too should
proceed as quickly as possible.  Similarly, the employer should act promptly
to provide the reasonable accommodation. Unnecessary delays can result in a
violation of the ADA.

HTH,
Steve