[nagdu] on opinions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 13:54:06 UTC 2015

I’ve been a member of this list since about the beginning of time, I think.  Over ten years at least.  It is one of the first lists I joined when I learned there was such a thing as email groups and it’s the only one I’ve remained on continuously since then.

I’ve always been an owner trainer.  And now with Jetta, supportive of other blind people as trainers. I have never attended a guide dog program.  I haven’t even finished the application process with any of the schools.  In the beginning, I got a lot of crap for my choice to owner train.  People told me I was crazy, that it was illegal, that it was dangerous and a whole lot worse.

Back then I used correction based training because that is what I knew.  Shortly after starting in on owner training, I discovered other training methods including, clicker and bridge and target.  I’d mention them on the list and got about the same response as with owner training.  that method only works for sighted people, it’s only for professionals, it’s airy fairy, dogs need corrections or they won’t respect you.

Time keeps on ticking...ticking...ticking and now as an owner trainer I’m somehow viewed as being better than everyone else.  Where exactly that notion comes from I have no idea.  Still it’s been voiced on this list, that owner trainers are arrogant and opinionated. Ten years ago we were stupid and rebellious.   Ten years from now, we’ll probably be something else.

And now we come full circle with the opinions that folks who use positive methods look down on those who use corrections.   I’m baffled, just baffled.

Once many, many, many years ago in my Intro to Sociology class on the very first day, my instructor wrote, “perception is reality” up on the board.  He told us everything that followed in our studies would follow this principal.  I think he was wrong,  I think the premise that perception is reality is true for everyone and for all time and all situations.

If you think corrections are bad, then they are.  If you think positive methods are airy fairy, then they are.   If you think owner trainers are arrogant, then we must be, at least to you.   Your perception is your reality.  The thing is though that my perception is my reality.

The whole respect thing is a two way street.  If you want respect and understanding of your views and your opinions, then you have to extend that to others.   If you come down harshly on positive methods, don’t be surprised when someone comes down harshly on corrections.   Respect too, is a perception.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com