[nagdu] state laws on service animals

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 03:27:57 UTC 2015

Marianne,

	I am happy to learn OAGDU and the Ohio affiliate are taking this on!
I know Ohio's statutes need a lot of work to make them clear, including
changing the term "assistance animal" to "service animal" and further
defining it. I will take a closer look at Ohio's laws and offer my
suggestions. I am not biased, but Florida has a very good law, except it has
not been modified since the new implementing regulations took effect in
2011. There is currently a bill in our legislature that will impose criminal
penalties for fraudulently passing a pet off as a service dog. We are
working to get the legislature to also adopt the new language of the ADA's
implementing regulations which more restrictively defines a service animal.
I have attached Florida's law fyi.

	Also, please do not forget the NAGDU leadership meeting on Sunday at
8:00 EST. I look forward to Ohio being well represented.

Fraternally yours,
Marion