[nagdu] NFB/NAGDU & Uber in the News

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 20:24:52 UTC 2015

Dear All,

                As many of you know, the National Federation of the Blind
has filed a law suit against Uber alleging violation of the Americans with
Disabilities Act for their treatment of guide dog users. During a recent
meeting with Uber in Tampa, I questioned an uber representative who stated
they comply fully with the ADA and only allow drivers to refuse access if an
Uber representative defended their right to deny access to service animal
users if the driver could demonstrate, through the attestation of a medical
professional, an allergy to dog dander. I challenged this policy and quoted
from the implementing regulations of the ADA. In a follow-up to this, the
Tampa Bay Times contacted this person's superiors and was given an even more
detailed comment about their discriminatory policy. Please take the time to
read the following article

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/concerns-arise-over-ubers-acces
<http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/concerns-arise-over-ubers-acces
s> ibility-for-persons-with-disabilities/2213526

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)

President at nagdu.org

http://www.nagdu.org

High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!