[nagdu] Running without a fenced yard

Jack Rupert jerupert at outlook.com
Mon Jan 19 17:36:15 UTC 2015

Hello fellow guide dog users,

I am currently on my second guide dog and he is about 2 1/2 years old, I
brought him home from school
in August and with just a little training in my on fenced yard he knows
where he can go and he cannot.
I know those of you who live in apartments may think that you can't loose
run your dog but the fact is
you need to check with your apartment complex and find the best area to make
your dog run at. Once
you have that information you can start training your dog in that area by
walking around the perimeter of the area
and after a few trips around the area so he knows what the boundary has you
can walk beside him or her
unhook your leash and hold onto the caller while walking with the dog a
couple times in the area then you can gradually
leave your leash off when you get to that area and your dog will stay there
it just takes a little practice and patience.

This brings up the subject of dog parks, there are great place for your dog
to run but the friendship of other dogs is not always
the best for a guide dog or service dog and so care needs to be taken as to
how many dogs are in the dog park when you are there,
and you want to be sure that you leave your dog on leash until the other
dogs have a chance to say hello and then gradually
let your dog loose.

I am a walker, I live in the northern states where the winters are cold and
snowing and as long as it's above zero my dog and I
take at least one walk every day, consisting of about a mile. As a matter of
fact he will go to the back door when he thinks next
that it's about time to go for a walk. As a day's get longer and we can walk
when it's daylight we will start taking two walks a day
and that with the bit of loose dog exercise he gets enough exercise.

This is my opinion and what works for me may not work for you, but it is
what I have learned from experience.

Jack Rupert
alumni, GDF/AmericasVetDogs
PS. They have just announced a trial study on hearing loss dogs and a study
on dogs for those who have just PTSD.
For more information on these new programs please contact the foundation
consumer services division.