[nagdu] Carrying

Danielle Burton danielleburton94 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:18:58 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,
I do agree with Vivianna about dogs relying on treats. Although, I do use treats with my dog, I don't do it consistently or feel the need to use them constantly. Sometimes I do and sometimes I dont and sometimes I don't have any at all. My dog will work with and without them. I do not mind treating a job very well done however, if I don't have any or do not treat my dog is also fine with just praise. I like to use treats for teaching a new location or new skill as it helps reinforce what I'm teaching but once the skill is mastered I don't always treat it. One thing I do treat fairly often but not consistently is curbs. Yes, my dog hardly ever runs a curb but to me it's even more crucial she stops at these as sometimes I may not hear how close I am to curbs because of hearing loss. I used to treat at all doors but hardly ever do that anymore nor do I do stairs anymore but I used to have to in order for her to take me to the handrail. I do like the idea of the dog not really knowing if they will always get a treat for something and that way sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't. I would not want a dog who stopped working because of not having treats. But  I have found that treats do help my dog and she doesn't get fixated on the treat and is calm about it appreciates the treat then continues guiding as if nothing happened. Some dogs are more distracted by the treats and some are not. IMy dog is more focused with the treats but if I forget them then there's no big deal about it as some dogs would have. I have intentionally left the treats home on a number of occasions to ensure that my dog does not become reliant on treats.

Sent from my iPhone