[nagdu] What's up with all the scavenging anyhow?

Louise Johnson herclouise at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 2 20:06:21 UTC 2015

Hi raven thanks for sharing your thoughts here as I learned the reason that
food is important. Yes I did understand that food bonds dogs with people
sooner but you made me realize that food helps the people they need to be
around in training. Training is not one person but food is important to get
good behavior and train the dog that others need to have the dog do what is
asked of them. You made me think of a day of a dog in training and how many
people may take time with it and yes food helps.

I am on my fifth guide dog and four have been trained with food but the
first two very little of it but the last two more food was used. My first
guide dog had no food reward and she went for food at times. I worked hard
and after a few months she did learn not to go after it.

My Kiara who has been mine eight months tomorrow does not even go after a
food reward when it even drops. When she is in harness she is just not
wanting food that is anywhere but from me.

Out of harness she tries to find food on the kitchen floor so I am very
aware of this and listening for her to go into the kitchen and I can call
her and she comes and sometimes she gets a food reward so I am the thing she
wants not the kitchen floor.

Thanks again and you open my eyes to the more about food reward and benefits
of it Louise and princess Kiara