[nagdu] Living in the country and NFB convention

Bryan Gearry bgearry at alaskafrontier.net
Fri Jul 3 15:45:04 UTC 2015

I also live in the country and remote. It is a real challenge as it is 4
miles to closest town. I have struggled with this for almost 15 years
(you would think I would have learned). The hassle about getting
groceries, medical and everything a small town has to offer is
overwhelming....but, there is something to say about living this life
style you just can't trade. Right now there are a cow and 2 calf moose
sitting in the yard. My Guide dog has learned to just watch them. He is
curious but will not start barking or chasing them as he would loose. He
just suits on the deck and watches them.

My travel is getting the mail down a dirt road. He was also trained to
do country roads. but that has its short comings (no shoulders) as being
on the left is correct, he won't walk in the ditches and we end up
pretty far right on the left hand side of the road. Now here is where it
gets real bad and I don't know how to change this. We have remote
property where we spend a lot of time. There are no roads just bear
trails and one walking trail we have to use. The trails are only one
foot wide at the most. The guide takes the trail which is pretty clear
and I get thrown off to the side to walk through the brush. I keep
thinking 5 years of fighting this my trail would have gotten wider, but
the bear trail is so used, that it becomes primary.

Bottom line, is I hate being so isolated especially in the winter, but
hanging out in the woods with moose in the front yard, eagles in the
tress ( there are no little dogs around here anymore!) The guide dog can
run through the woods and swamps no worries about fences. It is a trade
off. I end up trading neighbors for rides to town for doing projects at
their houses. It works....not convenient, but it works.

Sergeant and bryan

www.alaskafrontier.net