[nagdu] Offset or ergonomic handle

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 19:45:50 UTC 2015

Hi Julie,
When I got my first dog from GDF in '71, they were using mostly straight
handles. John Biegle had already started modifying the English handle which
was offset with the "verticle" pieces closer together than they are now, and
he occasionally gave his modified version to students who were crowding
their dogs. GDF was using the offset handle almost exclusively when I got
Curly Connor in '83, and the other US schools didn't come around to its
benefits for years after that.

I didn't have a problem crowding my dog, and he wasn't doing the "crab walk"
that occurs when people cronically crowd, but I noticed an instant benefit
with the offset handle. My second dog, Curly Connor, seemed to settle into
working with me more quickly and I never had to work on slowing him down.
That could just be differences in dogs, I know, but I would never go back to
the straight handle.

With the offset handle, the working team is a bit wider, which is the point,
but that does mean that you need more room to work. The only draw-backs are
that it does stick out and can bang into things like your legs when the dog
is heeling, as in when you are taking someone's arm. Also, the dogs tend to
role only on their left side when lying down in harness, as rolling onto
their right side doesn't work as well for them. I don't consider either of
these issues to be deal breakers as they happen infrequently and are easy to
work around.

That said, as a person with hand/wrist issues, I am more than a little
interested in the ergonomic handle. As to your advice that people ask the
school if it would be OK, however, I am reluctant to approach them that way.
I would ask if they use it, if they would consider using it and if not, what
their objections might be. But, once you have your dog (assuming you have
opted for ownership, which GDF offers), I would just go get the handle and
use it. The only question that would be relevant would be as to the
length/size of the handle. GDF and I'm assuming all schools makes a
determination as to the length of the handle, depending on your height,
stride, the dog's apparent comfort in walking with you, etc. One would want
to know how the stated size of the ergonomic handle matched up with the
offset handle size. We may be talking apples and oranges, depending on how
it is measured, but I'd want to get an answer to that prior to ordering one.
Donna & Hunter