[nagdu] Dog Parks

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 7 18:18:07 UTC 2015

Hi Elise:

I'm a bit late on this thread but everyone knows that is pretty normal for me. :)  I do take Bogart to dog parks but I find it is is less and less often. When I first got Bogart I would only go to dog parks with my girlfriend but once we, will she had push me a little, decided that bogart's recall was good and the park had generally good dogs in it I started going alone. The bell idea is great. I am pretty good at identifying bogart's unique tag jingle but a bel would be better. The other thing my girlfriend paid attention to in the early days was how bogart dealt with issues. Say trouble broke out between dogs. He would just withdraw. Or how did he read the signals of dogs who want nothing to do with him. That is so so even to this day. Most of our dog parks are fenced so that is good for knowing the dog can only go so far. Like everyone says though, there are risks or accidents that just happen. Bogart, a standard poodle, was wrestling with another dog last year and some how their heads connected at a weird angle. Susan said she thought bogart had broken his jaw but he just shrugged and it popped back into place but he ended up with a cut above his eye. Both dogs were a bit stunned but luckily no one was badly hurt. I was a bit freaked out but it's like having a child. You have to look at the risk factors and decide how much risk you are able to deal with. (the dogs don't always do great risk analysis). Those who know me know I'm big on Bogart being a great guide dog but as important to me is that he gets to be a dog, going for off harness walks, getting off leash, play time, etc. The reason we don't go to off leash parks as much is that I've noticed that bogart enjoys off leash hikes more than anything else. He has discovered his nose! We also have a soccer field across the road where often there is a dog with it's owner fetching or running around. Bogart loves chasing a dog chasing anything so he gets good exercise from that too. Lastly, in the new neighbourhood, we ar finding more aggressive dogs at this dog park than the one by where we used to live. Bogart has awesome recall now that he is approaching his 7th year so I know he will come back to me. Thanks to everyone for the touch command it works great. Had an experience where I had bogart off leash in a park close to home (where maybe I shouldn't have but don't tell) and people came in on the side walk with a kid, stroller and two little dogs. Bogart started barking at them but I called him and asked for touch. Honestly, I was amazed when he came back to me touched, was treated , so I was able to leash him up and get him to sit. It will be hard when I have my next young dog and have to build up to all of this.

So like all our dog decisions it's really based on what you are willing to deal with.

Cheers
Gary