[nagdu] Experience talk needed for this sad puppy

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 01:46:55 UTC 2015

Hello,

Zion had his surgery last wednesday, and we hit a bit of a rough patch for a few days where his medicine was making him highly nautious.

We are now over that bit, and now that's left is to keep him calm for 8 weeks. Oh the things we're willing to sacrifice for our beloved companions!

His stitches come out this upcoming monday.

Right now he sleeps a lot or walks around my apartment to get water or find another spot to sleep.  I'm keeping everyone out of my apartment to give him no reason to get excited, and this seems to be keeping him off of his leg than he might otherwise be.  I listen to a lot of new age music, and i keep that going to provide a more tranquel atmosphere.  Because I listen to it a lot, even without this stuff that's going on, it's familiar and normal for both of us.

It's still way too soon to know about his guide work, but when i take him outside, i will use the same commands with him that I would use with guide work.  It's not as much work as he needs to have, but whatever small bits of time i can slip in training, i take. :)

I spoke with his breeder about this, and she does not think it will be a career ending injury.  She's worked with akitas for ten years and miraculously she's never had an akita tear an ACL yet.  She says that the TPLO surgery produces great results, but the surgeon said it would take him a little longer to recover due to his bone structure.  It's really going to be the PT's assessment that's going to carry the most weight for me, so in seven more weeks, I'll have more of an idea.  I spoke to a PT before his surgery, and they said that they would have to look at him first, but they can't really see a reason why, after TPLO, he shouldn't be able to work after PT, but it would take a while.

Sometimes, when we're going outside to relieve him, he still thinks he's about go be worked, and he'll head to the entrance, rather than the courtyard area, of my apartment.

I've heard varying opinions on the amount of walking he should have after his PT is over.  Some say that walking a lot will keep the muscles in his knee strong, that if he does not walk enough, his leg will bother him.  Others say that too much walking will bother his leg.  Maybe it's just a matter of finding a happy median.

I am in college for teacher education, hoping to teach elementary school children, so I figured that, if he is of sound mind to work, working that job will allow him to rest should he need it.

That's the Zion update for anyone who's wondered.

I will keep you guys posted.

If nothing else, if someone else has this problem with a young dog, they can at least look in archives and learn something from my experience.

I hope you all are having a happy convention.  Wish we were there with you.