[nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed

margo and isis margo.downey at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 10 16:25:46 UTC 2015

Hear, hear!  Ditto, Mike!

Margo and Isis

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Michael Hingson
via nagdu
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 8:33 AM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Cc: Michael Hingson
Subject: Re: [nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed

Hi,

Actually, why is it different with ownership than without? The Seeing Eye
has granted ownership since its beginning. As TSE and the other four
schools that grant ownership know the dogs are protected under law and the
dogs are in  no more danger if ownership is granted.

On the other hand, schools have taken dogs away from handlers without any
kind of due process. Who protects the consumers? This is an issue as old as
time. Who has the rights, the dogs or the consumers. I stand with the
consumers. Yes dogs need to be protected. If schools accept students who do
not treat their guides well then who is at fault? The schools, of course.
They did not do as good a job of screening as they should have done.

No, ownership should be granted and the schools should have enough faith in
their graduates and in their own processes that they give the ownership
that they should provide.

Regards,

Michael Hingson