[nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed

larry d keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 21:25:15 UTC 2015

My friend William says it’s a year.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Buddy Brannan via
nagdu
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 5:17 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Cc: Buddy Brannan
Subject: Re: [nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed

Michael,

Unless they've changed it (again) from last year's, or perhaps year
before's, change, it is one year. If memory serves, ownership is
automatically granted after that first year, but I'd have to look...I think
I saved the relevant email. Several years ago, Leader changed from immediate
ownership upon graduation, to a two-year arrangement after which one could
apply for ownership. Some time after Will Henry became director of training,
that was changed to one year and, again, I believe automatic switch of
ownership at the end of that year.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 5:08 PM, Michael Hingson via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> It is now, I believe, two years.
>

> Regards,
>

> Michael Hingson

Corripio
> via nagdu
> Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 1:13 PM
> To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
> Cc: Gerardo Corripio
> Subject: Re: [nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed
>
>  What's the status of Leader Dogs in Rochester in which do they grant
> ownership of the dog upon graduation?
>
> El 10/07/2015 07:32 a.m., Michael Hingson via nagdu escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, why is it different with ownership than without? The Seeing
>> Eye has granted ownership since its beginning. As TSE and the other
>> four schools that grant ownership know the dogs are protected under
>> law and the dogs are in  no more danger if ownership is granted.
>>
>> On the other hand, schools have taken dogs away from handlers without
>> any kind of due process. Who protects the consumers? This is an issue
>> as old as time. Who has the rights, the dogs or the consumers. I stand
>> with the consumers. Yes dogs need to be protected. If schools accept
>> students who do not treat their guides well then who is at fault? The
> schools, of course.
>> They did not do as good a job of screening as they should have done.
>>
>> No, ownership should be granted and the schools should have enough
>> faith in their graduates and in their own processes that they give the
>> ownership that they should provide.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Michael Hingson

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/marianne%40denning
>>> w
>>> eb.com
>>>

>> --
>> Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
>> Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
>> (513) 607-6053

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/info%40michaelhings
>> on.com

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/gera1027%40gmail.co
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi lap
> Gerardo J Corripio Flores Psicólogo, Terapéuta Reiki Saludos desde
Tampico,