[nagdu] picking breed, gender, and influences from others

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jul 11 12:52:28 UTC 2015

I can see both sides to the choosing your dog concept.  I have picked all of
my dogs because I have owner trained or had them privately trained.  Three
turned out great and one was a learning experience.  I don't think her breed
was the problem though.   She just really didn't want to be a guide dog.
You wouldn't have that issue with a program though, or I'd hope not.

I am very picky with breed, gender and temperament.  With that said I still
have to be flexible.  This last time around I had wanted a red Doberman
male.  I ended up with a black Doberman female.  I guess you have to decide
what you'll compromise on and what you won't.   To me focus and work ethic
are of paramount importance.  Also my husband has mild allergies and
requested a short haired dog.   I researched a ton and then some more first
on breeds and then breeders.

But one of the huge benefits to going through a program is that they know
their dogs and should be able to  match you up with one that suits you.
This eliminates a lot of time researching breeds, evaluating dogs and
learning what traits best suit your lifestyle.  They are supposed to be
making the dog choosing and matching process easier and less problematic for
you.

I still say the hardest part about owner training is picking the dog to
start with.  If you start with a solid dog, the training is still work, but
not a nightmare.  You can start with a mess of a dog and come out with a
guide.  It's just that the process will be exponentially more time consuming
and difficult.  If the program does a good job of selecting quality dogs and
matches them well, the rest will fall into place pretty handily.

All that said, if a poodle is what you want and no other dog will be quite
right and you'll always wish you had the poodle, then I say ask for the
poodle.   If you're always wishing your lab was a poodle, you'll never be
truly happy with your lab and the partnership and work will suffer.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC