[nagdu] some considerations on ownership

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Jul 14 11:53:14 UTC 2015

Good question.

Let me define *difficulty* in this case.

In the case of the school granting full ownership, the school must go through local authorities to reclaim the dog. this varies based on local animal control regulations. In some areas schools must go to court to get an order from a judge to reclaim a dog because the animal control standards for cruelty don’t really apply or because, in the case of a dog who has bitten someone, the dog is in custody under quarantine and there’s a time limit before euthanasia.

This can be *difficult* because we have run into local officials who don’t want to take the *poor blind person’s dog* away regardless of the situation. One humane officer asked me if we couldn’t just take the person and dog back for retraining until the person could understand what was going on. Hum, no, not in that case anyway.

Then, even if the school does have custody or the right to remove the dog without local legal intervention, the *difficulty* comes when there is intervention. Yes, it is easier to remove a dog if you have the contractual standing to do so without going through the local legal system but the cost on instructors who must do this and staff who must build the case to do it is huge. Yes, we do have to build a solid case for removing a dog if the person has custody. It’s not something we do lightly. Why, if we have the right to do so?

the handler can always hire legal council and contracts be damned, anyone can sue anyone for anything and the legal battles can get very ugly. This means that the difficulty of taking a dog back comes in the burden of proof, as it should when full ownership is granted. In the case of the school having custody or conditional ownership though, the school has to consider what it will look like to the consumers. Yes, schools do think about this, believe it or not. Some think more about it than others but they all do consider it. In some cases if the consumers knew the circumstances, they’d be paying us to remove the dog but in other cases, it’s not so clear.

I hope that was at least sort of understandable. My point is that removing a dog, regardless of what the contract or lack of a contract says, is hard and no one on the school end goes into it lightly.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems