[nagdu] expectations of the blind & guide dog programs' admissionstandards

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 04:49:25 UTC 2015

Raven, when I go to school to get my dog, I don't feel like I
need to prove my independence by going and getting my food.
Basically I'm there to bond with my dog, learn how to work with
him or her, work out on the street, judging traffic and giving my
dog commands, and becoming a team.  I'm not in college now, so
rarely do I go through cafeteria lines, thank God.  I did all
that crap years ago and really don't care if I  do it again.  I
can if I have to, but I'll go to a restaurant and sit down and
make sure that my dog is lying quietly under my seat without
trying to snarf every crumb off the floor.  Seeing Eye does have
a day when people who want to go through a cafeteria line do so.
I've been there, done that.  I really can't imagine the first few
days of class going through a cafeteria line with a new dog.
Talk about chaos.  Lol.  But ow do believe that once there is
some skill in handling the dog, people should have the experience
of going through a line, finding a seat and sitting down.  But
like lots of other things where there is choice, some things need
to be left up to the individual.  We all know our lives when we
get home.  I doubt that I will ever eat in a cafeteria again.
God forbid! But then I've been there, done that, for years with
one of my dogs when I worked at IRS in Portland, so I know I
could if I absolutely had to.  As for staff being in the dining
room when students are there, or watching students go down a set
of stairs, I've not been to GEB.  At Seeing Eye the instructors
do space themselves in the hallway especially in the beginning to
prevent traffic jams when dogs and students are not that familiar
with each other and perhaps students are not familiar with the
building yet.  As time goes by, they may still be there, but they
are less apparent.

There are people in the world who do not have a good sense of
direction.  I am one of those.  I do much better outdoors than
indoors, but I'm the first to admit that my sense of direction
sucks.  There's no amount of training in the world that will
change that.  What training has done for me is shone me that I
can figure things out, and what I can't figure out, I can ask
other people or use my GPS, especially when there is nobody
around.  Having a dog over the years has given me a sense of not
being totally alone out there.  If ow get lost, Nova is still
there with me.  Even though I have to figure out where we're
going and get us home or to wherever, she and other dogs I have
had have definitely been helpful.  But I do want to remind all of
you about something.  When Seeing Eye first opened its doors,
there were no white canes, no mobility instructors, nothing like
we have today.  I am glad that people now have a chance to have
OandM, but it has not always been so.  I am glad that we have
what we do, but in those first days, all that those who got their
first dogs knew was what they were taught by their instructor;.
We as dog guide users have a proud heritage.  Those early
pioneers in the guide dog movement were definitely brave people
and showed courage.  They had to fight of the rights that we
often take for granted.  So when I walk down the street with my
dog, I often think back to those first days, months and years.
And I am proud to be the owner of my Seeing Eye dog.  And all of
you, whether you are Seeing Eye graduates or not, should walk
with your dogs with pride.  Walk into restauraots, stores,
schools, libraries, hospitals, parks, wherever you want to go,
and walk with pride, the same pride that our brothers and sisters
who use canes.  After all, it isn't everyone who can or should
use a dog.    Debby and Nova