[nagdu] expectations of the blind & guide dogprograms'admission standards

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:59:25 UTC 2015

Hi Dan, I've tried writing you privately, but for some reason I
can't seem to get my emails to send to just you.  Oh well, I'm
trying.  Anyway, I totally agree with you.  For several years, my
now retired guide Lamar walked with me the half mile to the
mailbox and back, and guided me when my husband and I went to
town.  The problem was when I tried working Lamar in Denver.  I
was at CCB, and Lamar couldn't deal with the stress of the city.
I couldn't deal with the stress of him not working, and ended up
having him go back to my husband, and he eventually was
officially retired.  He's still ever faithful, and comes up to my
left side when I get the harness out.

Nova has already had a variety of work situations.  When I first
came home, I was working in an office where she could be under my
desk.  Now she has to stay in a kennel during the day, but it's
very nice.  It's in a well-ventilated room and there are wire
cages that keep the dogs separate from each other.  It has room
for her bed, she can walk around in it, has water available.  At
breaks and lunch, I get her and she can go outside or I take her
with me into the break room.  She's adjusted quite well to this.
Some days I take the bus, some days my husband takes me so that I
have a little more time to get her settled.  My job switch is to
a job that has much more physical activity.  I have been
exhausted when I got home every time, (could partly be due to jet
lag from Florida.  Anyway, Nova hasn't gotten many walks this
week.  But hopefully as time goes by at work, , I'll be less
tired.  I enjoy a nice stroll around our neighborhood.  With
other activities that we're involved in, there's a variety of
places we go.  She may not get the two to three mile walks some
people think are ideal, but at this current point in my life, I
just don't have the time.  Well, it's time for bed, so I'd best
go.  Nova and Lamar are ready for park time.    Debby and Nova