[nagdu] relieving or dressing first was expectations of the blind & guidedogprograms'admission standards

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jul 19 10:52:26 UTC 2015

Debbie and all,

Funny story time, funny now at least.

At home I do take the dogs out while I'm still in my PJ's and crazy hair.
However I have a backyard which is very private.  There are very limited
ways to peek back there.  At hotels I do get dressed first.  I get up, feed
the dog and while they are eating I dress quickly in whatever is easy to
throw on, but still suitable for public viewing.

Last year I went to visit a college with my son.  He stayed on the campus,
but I chose to stay in a local hotel.  I've lived in a dormitory and I'm not
keen on doing that again.  Anyway, 5 a.m. comes and I get up, feed Monty and
throw on yesterday's clothes.  I took Monty out to relieve.  It was a
beautiful morning, we lingered a bit, Monty sniffing and me enjoying the
cool fresh air.

I go back to my room to get ready for the day, only to find that my key card
won't work.  I tried a bunch of times and nothing.  I go up to the front
desk.  the clerk tries the key card a few times.  She tries the housekeeping
card.  She tries a different master card.  Nothing works.  Maintenance man
is called...I forgot to mention this was Fourth of July weekend...so I sat
with the front desk clerk in the lobby, having a nice chat, while we waited
for maintenance man to arrive.  He eventually did and was able to get the
door open.  It was determined that the whole lock mechanism was bad and
would need to be replaced.  The door wasn't useable at all.

Had I decided to take Monty out in my PJ's that morning, it would have been
a really embarrassing event.  Not that my pajamas are scandalous, it's just
not how I'd like to be remembered.

Julie
Sport guide harnesses available! send inquiries to: julielj at neb.rr.com
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC