[nagdu] Wanted: opinions about guide dogs

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jul 28 03:56:25 UTC 2015

Wow...you ask the big $64K questions. And you won't get short answers, at least, not on the pros and cons question.

Best program? Mine, of course, which is what most people will tell you. You've got your work cut out for you there. Personally, I think the Seeing Eye offers the most comprehensive and thorough traffic training in the biz, period amen. However, all the programs do a good job I think, though there are certainly philosophical differences. The ownership question, for instance, may or may not be important to you. I am concerned, too, with the trend at some schools towards shorter training programs for students. Simply put, I don't believe two weeks is long enough for a first-time guide dog handler to adjust to a dog for the first time. Sure, the mechanics of guide work are the easy part, but there's a lot of material to absorb, and I don't just mean the mechanics of guide work. But that's my opinion, and I'm an expert on my opinion. It is entirely possible that I'm wrong.

Breeds: usually, labrador retrievers, golden retrievers, crosses of these, and German shepherds, though sometimes other breeds are tossed in for fun and variety. Make your preferences known when you apply, although I think size isn't quite as important as exactly what you're looking for in a dog's work. Put another way, do you want a smaller dog because you're a smaller person? Do you want a smaller dog because you're afraid a bigger one might pull you off your feet by accident? All things being equal, which they rarely are, would you be OK with a larger dog if in most other respects, it was a good personality and working match for you?

Pros and cons. Oh goodness. This one will generate all manner of cussing and discussing. From my perspective:

Pros: Wide open spaces. Oh yes. You'll find it a lot easier to get across wide open spaces with a dog. More than that, you'll find it easier to get across wide open spaces and to doors with a dog. For places you visit often, you'll find that your dog remembers them and indicates them to you. Those are the biggest advantages. You'll also avoid all the poles, holes, benches, and other obstacles you might otherwise find. This can, of course, sometimes be a disadvantage if you regularly use these things as landmarks. You'll likely learn to use different kinds of landmarks with a dog though. Still, making that adjustment is a process. Also, having that extra bit of help in traffic is a real advantage.

Disadvantages: biggest one in my expert opinion (see above) is public interference and, well, just the public generally. Not only will people always be wanting to, or in fact, petting your dog, but you'll hear all about the dog that every person on earth has had that looks just like your dog, except it was bigger, or smaller, or was a different color, or a different breed, but otherwise identical. You will have your dinners with friends interrupted by such people. Ditto books you're reading on the bus, or any number of other things. Naturally, there are all the usual sorts of things with all critters. Vet bills, food bills, picking up doggie poo and responsibly disposing of same. Some may consider those disadvantages. I say they're just a thing, not a huge deal. The biggest disadvantage, I mean second, next to public interference, is that dogs don't live forever, and you'll be doing it all again in, if you're lucky, 6-8 years, and if you're exceeding lucky, longer than that. I have been lucky so far. A possible disadvantage: if you don't actually like dogs, you might not be happy with a guide dog. This seems to be common sense, but you'd be surprised.

I won't mention things like the epic battles of wills we sometimes have with our dogs. Sometimes we're right, and other times we are very, very wrong. Fortunately, these dogs are usually pretty resilient, and they're also very forgiving. A good thing, too.

Well, that should be a start for you anyway.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name