[nagdu] Wanted: opinions about guide dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Tue Jul 28 11:04:26 UTC 2015

Well, you were all waiting for this--smile I'm going to chime in, now Dan,
that's me--lol) do you really have an opinion about guide dogs? Yes, thanks
for asking.
I think that even the most competent cane user can improve travel speed and
efficiency with a guide dog.
It all depends on your motivation and the way you are matched with a dog by
the school.
It is different than using a cane of course, a dog is a living breathing
thing, and frankly the first question I would ask myself is: "do I like
dogs"?
You'll be with your dog all the time in one way or another, I mean even if
your pup isn't by your side he-she will be in your home so  you can't really
fold the dog up and put it in the closet--lol.
On the other hand, when I first got a dog it sometimes seemed overwhelming,
so many things I had to do to take care of the dog, playing, obedience,
bathroom time (for the pup), grooming, etc. But I found after a few weeks
that I incorporated all of that stuff in to my routine and there was plenty
of down time when my doggie could just sleep and I could relax.

So advantages: you will travel I believe much faster or at least more
efficiently, your dog will take you around obstacles, stop at steps and
curbs, and also my dogs fortunately have all been good at learning places we
go so sometimes the dog will help you out when you're disoriented--lol.
There are so some routes where I'm pretty much on auto-pilot, though I'm of
cause still paying attention to where I'm going.

When I went to guide dog school I was always chided for letting my dogs take
initiative, but Hell, my first dog really did seem to learn where everything
was and I could just walk with my head up and a smile on my face really fast
and not worrying about a thing, and Hell, even when I or the dog was wrong
we were still walking and enjoying it.
I would baldly state that a guide dog who is properly trained and matched
with you will keep you safe from obstacles, and be an extra safeguard  in
traffic.
I'll tell lyou how I feel, went I'm walking down a sidewalk my dog keeps me
on the center left and I sometimes even forget that there are curbs I could
step off or things I could run into, I remember seeing a bit when I was a
kid and I think walking with a dog when it all goes well is the closest you
will get to the feeling of being a sighted pedestrian as far as how you
move.
And besides, dogs are cute as a bug in a rug and I enjoy their company. I
have donetravelling with a dog independently that I didn't dream of being
able to do with a cane...and to those of you who then will chime in "well  I
Have no problem doing things with a cane, I respectfully stick my tongue out
at you--smile, we're talking about my opinions, not yours"--lol.  I say that
because I've gotten so sick of the dog verses cane exercise in rhetorical
stupidity that some of my blind friends over the years insist on.

When I got a dog I felt that I had a lot of problems being an independent
traveler with a cane, I have a hearing issue and judging traffic was
challenging plus I became disorientted and couldn't rely well on sound
clues. I investigated a dog because 1. I love dogs. 2. I was feeling a bit
desperate about improving my mobility skills. Now you may say that was owas
not the right reason but that's how it was and when I took a walk n New York
City with my first dog during training I was just amazed how easy it seemed
to me compared to how it felt when I visited NYC before with a cane which I
had done several times.

Dogs can also be very good at finding things, doors, paths, seats (I've ound
this dependson the dog) stairs, etc.
Now since you insist, disadvantages--lol, though I feel that my friends on
the NAGDU list seem almost gleeful about pointing them out at the least
opportunity and if you go through archives you'll hear plenty.

1. oyou can't fold the dog up like a cane
2. dogs get old and sick and it's pretty hard on me.
3. you will have to deal with the public which is sometimes fun and
sometimes a paine.
4.  You will have access issues with public places sooner or later, and
sometimes friends and family even those who claim they just love dogs will
or can act stupid about letting you be acoompanied by your dog in their cars
and houses and you'll have to figure out what your comfort level is with
that.

And I don't know if this is a "advantage" or a "disadvantage", but a dog is
not a robot, you will not get a pefect guiding robot out of a guide dog
moulde, every dog is a bit different and they have their defects just as we
do.

I have deliberately not read any of the responses to your question so that I
could give my opinions without anyone else's influencing me.
Whatever you decide we wish you all the best and it's good that you asked
about it. The computer is a tremendous resource for  information, I remember
when I started out being interested in dogs I had no one to ask except one
or two handlers I knew and information was sort of sketchy sometimes.

Dan and the Parker hound