[nagdu] City Hall experience.

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Tue Jul 28 13:57:29 UTC 2015

Hi,
I had an interesting experience yesterday at City Hall in downtown Cincinnati. I was down there participating in our 25th Anniversary ADA event and walk. Before the walk started, I went into City Hall to use the bathroom. I have been inside there several times before. There was a security officer by the front door, and I asked him if it was alright to use the bathroom.
He asked, "Is that a service dog?"
Me, "Yes, he is a guide dog" and I pointed to his harness, which has Guide Dogs for the Blind written all over it.
He said, "I need to see his tags,"
What tags??? I have never been asked that before. I had the feeling that he meant he wanted to see his ID. I don't typically carry his GDB ID card on me, since they legally can't ask for that. So, the only tags I could think of were his name tag, microchip tag, and GDB tag on his collar. So, I showed him his collar with the tags. That seemed to satisfy him and we went ahead and headed through the building.
I just found this whole experience as bizarre and irritating. I mean, of all places, City Hall should know the service dog laws! LOL
Funny that this occurred just before the ADA celebration. We still have a very long road ahead of us.
I'm wondering if I should call down to City Hall and speak to the guard's supervisor?
Deanna and Mambo

--
This email was Virus checked by UTM 9. http://www.sophos.com

Sent from the Clovernook email system