[nagdu] City Hall experience.

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 29 14:48:37 UTC 2015

After reading the guidance from the Department of Justice in their new
"Frequently asked Questions about Service Animals", I understand it to say
that local ordinances requiring registrations and vaccinations do not
violate the ADA, as they are requirements for all animal owners. At the same
time, it is my understanding that compliance with such ordinances cannot be
used as a condition of access. My lay interpretation of this guidance is
that it is still incumbent upon an entity to demonstrate that a direct
threat exists that cannot be eliminated by a reasonable modification of
policies, practices, or procedures, that the animal is out of control and
the handler does not take effective measures to correct the behavior, or
that the animal is not housebroken in order to deny access. Such
requirements for registration or proof of vaccination are not discriminatory
as they apply to all owners of animals, including service animals.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala