[nagdu] new F A Q service dogs was City Hall experience.

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Wed Jul 29 23:07:30 UTC 2015

Danielle and Marion,

This is correct regarding places of public accommodation not being able to demand, as a condition of access for the service animal handler, any identification, licenses or health records.

Why, you may ask.

Because under the ADA and other civil rights laws, your guide dog is considered equal to someone’s wheelchair, crutches or assistive listening device. It is a piece of equipment that mitigates your disability. This is a tough concept for many of us to get our heads around. It’s important though when thinking about access and the maintenance of our service animals.

It is assumed by the Department Of Justice and other federal and state regulatory agencies that we as handlers keep our dogs properly vaccinated and healthy. If we don’t, we can lose our right to work them in public. If enough of us don’t, everyone loses their rights.

Just something to think about.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems