[nagdu] Denied service and NAGDU app

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Jun 6 14:03:00 UTC 2015

This always seems to happen to me on vacation.  We were visiting
Virginia Beech yesterday and wanted to eat in a Mexican restaurant
near the beech.  We went in and I was told the dog could not be there.
I told them it was against the law to deny me services but they
insisted.  My husband called the Virginia Beech police and I looked up
the law for the state of VA.  When the police officer arrived he said
he really wasn't aware of the law so I showed him the law from my app.
He went inside and talked to the owners.  They agreed to let me come
in.  They wanted me to sit in the back though.  We chose not to fight
that fight yesterday.  If anyone has a service dog and is at Virginia
Beech please go to Side Street Cantina on 11th St.  I want to thank
NAGDU for the app because it really helped.  It was so much better
than the book I used to get because it allowed me to know the law and
have it ready for the police.

BTW, yes, the owners did not speak English and are not aware of the
laws.  It seems like imigrants are the most likely to deny me service
but they need educating too.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053