[nagdu] Barking at Other Dogs

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 22:19:59 UTC 2015

I feel your pain! My dog has always had a dog distraction.
I only use the Halti, which is another head collar, if we'll be in an
area heavily populated with dogs such as an outdoor mall, farmer's
market, and such. But usually, I just use a nylon buckle collar. I
learned very early on that leash corrections only make my dog shut
down and are counterproductive for us.

First, I know my dog is distracted by a fellow canine because he
starts staring off in another direction, walking faster, wagging his
tail, and breathing heavily. I can detect all this behavior through
the leash and harness.
What I've done is trained my dog to speed past other dogs. This
capitalizes on one of his knee-jerk reactions, walking faster.
I first did this on leash, so I had more control of where we were
going and how fast we were walking. I took the Golden Guy out to a
nearby neighborhood with lots of dogs being walked and behind fences.
Whenever he was distracted by another dog, I told him "leave it," or
"focus," and walked faster past those dogs. If he did not try to go
for a dog, I rewarded him using praising, petting, or treats. If he
lunged for a dog, I turned around and walked away from the dog.
When he did this pretty good on leash, I put the harness back in the
game and repeated the same strategy.
So there's 2 components to this: (1) refocus your dog, and (2) teach
an alternative behavior. You can use verbal commands, such as "leave
it," "focus," or the touch cue, making your dog touch your hand.
Alternative behaviors include sitting, walking faster, laying down, or
waiting. If your dog is doing any of those things, they cannot be
lunging for another dog. Be sure to reinforce these behaviors with
rewards. Treats are primary reinforcers for dogs, but use what works
for the both of you.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs