[nagdu] Allergies and Dog Foods Dog

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 12 19:10:01 UTC 2015

Sandra,
Thanks for the info! I switched Jenny to a grain-free food because she was getting pimple-like growths on her face. I never did get them checked out by the vet because by the time I could get in, they would accidentally pop. I had contemplated switching her food for a while but when she kept getting the pimples, I figured it couldn't hurt... since the switch, no more pimples!

Jenny thankfully doesn't seem to have the itching in the ears/eyes themselves, but more on the skin, particularly the face. Whether allergies are the cause or the result of the yeast, I'm not sure, but she's pretty uncomfortable.

I figured I would send the list a link to the Omega 3s I am giving her, in case anyone would like them. I like them because based on her size, even on a therapeutic dose, it's 1 tablet once a day; on a maintenance dose it's 1 tablet twice a week... no more complicated math! This bottle would last six months on the therapeutic dose, and much longer on the maintenance dose :)

http://www.amazon.com/Trusted-Nutrients-Omega-Fishoil-Supplement/dp/B00GMPBTZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434135974&sr=8-1&keywords=Trusted+Nutrients+Omega

I think at the end of the day, the important thing is to do what you can, research research research, question EVERYTHING, and find out what works for you.
And as for allergy symptoms, here it's so dry that it's hard to tell where allergies end and just plain dry skin begins!

Daryl
----- Original Message ----- From: S L Johnson via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> To: nagdu at nfbnet.org Cc: S L Johnson <SLJohnson25 at comcast.net> Sent: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 12:57:00 -0600 (MDT) Subject: [nagdu] Allergies and Dog Foods Dog  Hello: Yesterday we were discussing allergies. I said Eva would be seeing the vet again today. Her yeast infection in both ears looks better but the ears are still a bit red and irritated. She will be getting the ear drops for another ten days. She is also getting eye drops twice a day. The vet could see some irritation in the eyes. She noticed missing hair around the eyes from Eva rubbing them. Eva will still take antihistamines twice a day. She will continue to take daily omega 3 capsules. The vet said their practice is seeing a lot of allergies this year. She said it is the reality of living in hot humid central Indiana where all the dogs and humans are suffering from allergies. I asked the vet about a regular diet verses a grain free diet. The vet said that the grain free trend has not been scientifically proven to be effective for pets anymore then it has for humans. She said it is just the latest craze with no real benefits to your dog’s health. The vet said any good quality commercial dry food is fine. The only time to consider grain free is if the dog has digestive issues due to the foods.  She said that changing the diet really doesn’t effect seasonal allergies. With seasonal allergies the dog is reacting to things in the environment, not what it is eating. She went on to say that there is a lot of hype and misinformation about pet diets just as there is for human diets. There is a lot of discussion on this list about foods and supplements. I read posts about not using omega 3s sold in stores but insisting on all natural. I’ve read that only natural dog foods should be used. I am not knocking those of you who choose to feed very expensive foods or raw diets that claim to be better for your dog. However, I do want to reassure those who cannot afford this that their dogs will do fine on any of the name brand supplements and dog foods sold in grocery, department or pet stores. Sometimes people try to make us feel that we are not taking care of our dogs if we feed commercial dog foods. The reality is, many of us are on very low incomes and cannot afford the fancy trendy foods that are two to three times more expensive. A guide dog is an expensive responsibility without putting the guilt trip on those with limited incomes. If commercial foods are approved by the guide dog schools and most vets, then I feel confident to feed them to my dog. I can’t afford it and , I don’t jump on the health food craze for humans and I don’t intend on doing it for my dog. It is just the current trend and not medically proven to be beneficial. Sandra and Eva