[nagdu] Allergies and Dog Foods Dog

Jody Ianuzzi thunderwalker321 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 22:15:36 UTC 2015

I remember 50 years ago when we fed our dogs Chuck Wagon and Dog Chow and other junk food.  You never heard of dog's having allergies or ear infections.  Come to think of it, back then people didn't think much about eating healthy and you rarely heard about food allergies or obesity in people.

Now we are all concerned about quality food and there is so much allergy and obesity.

I also think it amusing to talk with my daughter who is so concerned with what she feeds her cats, but then she will pick up Berger King on the way home.

Just a thought.

JODY 🐺
thunderwalker321 at gmail.com

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."  DOCTOR WHO (Tom Baker)

> [...]
>>>
>>> I think at the end of the day, the important thing is to do what you can,
>>> research research research, question EVERYTHING, and find out what works
>>> for
>>> you.
>>> And as for allergy symptoms, here it's so dry that it's hard to tell where
>>> allergies end and just plain dry skin begins!
>>>
>>> Daryl
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: S L Johnson via nagdu
>>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>>> To: nagdu at nfbnet.org Cc: S L Johnson <SLJohnson25 at comcast.net> Sent: Fri,
>>> 12
>>> Jun 2015 12:57:00 -0600 (MDT) Subject: [nagdu] Allergies and Dog Foods Dog
>>> Hello: Yesterday we were discussing allergies. I said Eva would be seeing
>>> the vet again today. Her yeast infection in both ears looks better but the
>>> ears are still a bit red and irritated. She will be getting the ear drops
>>> for another ten days. She is also getting eye drops twice a day. The vet
>>> could see some irritation in the eyes. She noticed missing hair around the
>>> eyes from Eva rubbing them. Eva will still take antihistamines twice a
>>> day.
>>> She will continue to take daily omega 3 capsules. The vet said their
>>> practice is seeing a lot of allergies this year. She said it is the
>>> reality
>>> of living in hot humid central Indiana where all the dogs and humans are
>>> suffering from allergies. I asked the vet about a regular diet verses a
>>> grain free diet. The vet said that the grain free trend has not been
>>> scientifically proven to be effective for pets anymore then it has for
>>> humans. She said it is just the latest craze with no real benefits to your
>>> dog’s health. The vet said any good quality commercial dry food is fine.
>>> The
>>> only time to consider grain free is if the dog has digestive issues due to
>>> the foods.  She said that changing the diet really doesn’t effect seasonal
>>> allergies. With seasonal allergies the dog is reacting to things in the
>>> environment, not what it is eating. She went on to say that there is a lot
>>> of hype and misinformation about pet diets just as there is for human
>>> diets.
>>> There is a lot of discussion on this list about foods and supplements. I
>>> read posts about not using omega 3s sold in stores but insisting on all
>>> natural. I’ve read that only natural dog foods should be used. I am not
>>> knocking those of you who choose to feed very expensive foods or raw diets
>>> that claim to be better for your dog. However, I do want to reassure those
>>> who cannot afford this that their dogs will do fine on any of the name
>>> brand
>>> supplements and dog foods sold in grocery, department or pet stores.
>>> Sometimes people try to make us feel that we are not taking care of our
>>> if we feed commercial dog foods. The reality is, many of us are on very