[nagdu] loose dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 03:46:22 UTC 2015

I know we've talked about this before, but I'd like some ideas.
Recently there have been several loose dogs in my neighborhood.  Normally this is not an issue, but for some reason— maybe because it's nice out, and people are out themselves, there have been several loose dog encounters while Soleil and I are out.  In all cases, the owner has been outside, doing things like gardening or whatever and had their dog with them.  The dog sees Soleil and is off like a shot.  The owner calls them and the dog is not going to listen and just keeps coming.
I'm Deafblind, with some pretty severe balance and physical mobility issues.  I can see a little, and in a couple of the cases, I could see the dog coming, once it got close because it was a dark dog on the light colored sidewalk.
There is no working passed these dogs because they are literally up in Soleil's face or circling in front of her.  Soleil is a great dog communicator and is very friendly.
I have found that the best technique is to stop, let the leash out, and let her greet the other dog.  This allows me to plant my feet and get my balance so the other dog doesn't knock me over.  It allows the idiot owner time to get their dog who is now occupied with mine, and has stopped running away.
Is there a better way I could handle this?  I can't get between Soleil and the other dog because literally we are on an open sidewalk, and also if the dog knocks me down we will be in trouble.   I'm open to any suggestions.
I have had to retire a dog because of attacks before, and while things have been friendly up to now, in the back of my mind is the knowledge that the next one could be the bad one.  I have worked really hard with this dog and want to be her partner for the next 50 years, even if she is a weird lab with weird lab food issues!
Thanks for any ideas!

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com