[nagdu] Why, or why not?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jun 19 16:46:05 UTC 2015

Firstly, that amount of shedding makes me wonder if there wasn't some sort
of underlying health issue.  Low thyroid levels can cause shedding like
that.

I'm struggling with my guide Jetta right now.  She was accosted by a loose
dog on Wednesday.  She was dog distracted before that and now  we are
experiencing major, major setbacks.   Obviously people who aren't
responsible for their dogs are a pretty large annoyance to me right now.
It's not enough that I'm considering not having a guide dog, but it is
enough that I find myself evaluating which streets I walk down.

The other big downside to having dogs for me is out of town travel.  I have
two guides right now, my older and slowing down Monty, and the younger Jetta
who now requires remedial training to get over her issues with dogs.   If I
go on out of town trips, I can obviously only take one dog.  There are very
few people who I'm comfortable leaving my dogs with.

I've always had dogs and imagine I always will, but sometimes it is
frustrating and inconvenient.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC