[nagdu] Why, or why not?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 23:07:08 UTC 2015

Dealing with the public does anger me sometimes, but I don't hold it
in. Don't count on me to rep the guide dog community because I am not
the one to hold back. If somebody thinks it's okay to violate my
personal space and treat me like I don't deserve the respect they
would give any other stranger, then I can show them the same
disrespect. It's not okay to go up to anyone and touch them, their
child, or anything on their person. Me and my dog should be covered by
the same common courtesies, but we aren't. I have no problem setting
people straight.
Most times, I ignore people who ask random questions about my dog. If
you don't care about me, I don't care about you, and so I'm not
talking to you. I have ignored people on buses, in grocery stores, in
airports, doctor's offices, and so on.
As a dog lover myself, I am sometimes interested in talking to other
people about their dogs, but only if we're doing something together or
sitting near each on a bus or in a waiting room. If you're just
passing me by somewhere or randomly walk up to me, oh no. I am not
wasting any attention on you. Also, if I just got off work, I'm not in
the move for chatting it up.
If someone tries to pet my dog, I usually tell them petting is a
distraction. And if they're standing too close or already petting, I
detonate.

And about the shedding thing, poodles are an option, though you have
to be willing to work with one. If you are willing, then definitely be
choosy and request one.
For people who have a fit over shedding, I just put down a towel in
the car for my golden to lay on. But I mean, if you've got windows
down, some hair is guaranteed to blow around.
I also groom my golden each morning, but they're maximum shedders, and
shed no matter. what. You can't stop them from shedding anymore than
you can stop a person from shedding skin, or stop a plant from
shedding. It's a part of being a living thing, so get used to it.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs