[nagdu] Self Respect

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jun 20 00:41:59 UTC 2015

Funny story...

This past spring I was teaching a resiliency program at the elementary
school here.  The kids are absolutely over the moon about the dog, whichever
one I brought that day.  They had tons of questions and loved to share about
blind people they knew or books they had read.  My standing rule is that
there is no dog interaction until after the class is over and then it
depends on the particular dog and they have to listen to me.  anyway most of
the obsession wears off after a few class sessions.    After one of the
classes, one of the girls asked if she could give Monty a hug.  I was
contemplating what to say when the girl's friend spoke up.  "Why do you want
to give the dog a hug?  Why don't you want to give her a hug?" and then she
asked me for a hug.    I really appreciated her recognizing that there was a
person on the other end of the leash.   There is hope for the future.

Julie