[nagdu] Dog Parks

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 01:48:12 UTC 2015

To my knowledge, there aren't any dog parks in my area so I haven't
had to seriously consider this before. Just thinking about it at the
moment, I probably wouldn't take my particular dog to a dog park. His
recall is fairly good: I can and have successfully issued the "come"
command while he was in the middle of playing with other dogs but he
has had difficulty obeying a few of the times significant quantities
of food were involved. Thai has also had a few bad experiences with
other dogs. He usually only shows suspicion of certain dogs while
working but I'm not sure I would want to risk making the problem worse
by having him interact with overly friendly or poorly behaved dogs. He
is very friendly and plays well with dogs who respect dog play
ettiquet; however, I have noticed over the past few days that he
doesn't appreciate the puppy jumping or biting.

Like others have said, I believe it mainly comes down to the
reliability of your dog's offleash recall and how she interacts with
other dogs.
My dog was taught recall using both "come" and a whistle at his
school, and I also think recall is something that should be taught by
all training programs.

Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)