[nagdu] Why, or why not?

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Jun 20 19:23:46 UTC 2015

Wow Sandy, are you always so disagreeable? Really, nothing, not even guide dog vs. cane travel, is ever so black and white. There are real advantages to using a cane. A cane will tell you all sorts of things about your environment that a guide dog simply does not, just by their specific natures. How often have people, being between dogs, said something like, "You know, I thought I knew my neighborhood, but I never knew that bench was there."? Some people may not care about that level of detail. Others find it invaluable. Who are you to say that what you yourself do not find valuable, others should not, and if they do, they are clearly not as good a traveler as you are by virtue of the fact that they make different choices from you? This strikes me as the absolute height of arrogance. As Dan says, everything in life, including blindness and blindness techniques, involves tradeoffs. The tradeoffs you are willing to accept to use a guide dog are worthwhile to you. They are not to others. Three dogs later, and raising my fourth, I also believe the tradeoffs are worthwhile for most conditions, though I'm perfectly happy to take the other tradeoffs of using a cane in certain circumstances as well.

Personally, I welcome those like Rowena who are looking for information. I was one such many years and many dogs ago. Jenine will attest. Such people may ultimately decide they want to try it out and see what the fuss was about, as I did. Some may decide they're happy with what they're doing now and travel the world. (I note, and unrelated, that both trips I made off this continent, I made without a dog.) In any case, if such people are not allowed to ask questions without judgment and in spirit of cooperation and helpfulness, how can they learn what they may need to know to make an informed decision?

So, really, lighten up.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194