[nagdu] Getting in trucks

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:17:31 UTC 2015

Ashley,
Do you have him get in the truck first? Or do you get in first? If he
gets in first, start getting in before him. That might help him feel
more comfortable getting in. After he's more confident, you can return
to having him get in first if you like.
Be sure to use treats, or praise him up if/when he gets in after you
do. Make getting into the truck the most amazing thing ever.

Have you tried luring him in using treats? You don't necessarily have
to get in first, but you can hold a treat in your hand inside the
vehicle just beyond his reach, making him want to get in the vehicle
to go for the treat.

Try using these suggestions during a training session outside of a
scheduled car ride. That way, you won't be so frustrated with him, and
it doesn't force you to become forceful or push the situation. The
more you force him, the more he will resist. This is because he will
associate getting into trucks with being stressed out and alarmed, and
in turn will not want to get in the truck.
At the start, make each session short, about 2 minutes. Don't pressure
or drill him. Be pleased with small successes, and end each session on
a good note. For instance, have him sit outside the truck. Or, do the
touch command, then reward him.
As a caution, do not praise your dog for being afraid. What I mean is,
praise him at first when he puts his paws up. "Yes! Good boy." But if
he continues to stand there like that, try urging him to get in. No
more praise until he makes a positive move toward getting in. Praising
him for just standing there will make him think it's okay not to get
into the truck.
Be very consistent, encouraging, and patient. He'll come around.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs