[nagdu] minature horses as guides

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:49:19 UTC 2015

The way I see it, there is a difference between saying "I don't think
horses are practical as guides because of their more frequent need to
relieve" and saying "guide horses are stupid because the only guide
horse I ever met was dangerous". I exaggerated a little but I hope you
understand my point. Expressing your opinion and explaining why you
feel that way is completely different from judging an entire group
based on one individual.

I prefer dogs to horses so a guide horse wouldn't be my first choice.
That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with training a
horse as a guide. As others have pointed out, they have a much longer
life span and may be better for people who are more familiar and
comfortable working with horses as opposed to dogs. A guide horse
might even be a viable alternative for someone with a severe dog
allergy. I would imagine that horses would have different distractions
than dogs as well. As I understand it, horses spend most of their time
standing so would stand next to or maybe under a table rather than
laying under a chair. As long as the horse is kept out of the way, I
don't see anything wrong with this. I could be completely wrong
though, considering my limited experience with horses.

Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)