[nagdu] Defiant poodles running away from corrections

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:38:14 UTC 2015

Hi Kerri,
Donna & Hunter

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kerri Stovall via
nagdu
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:11 PM
To: the National Association of Guide Dog Users NAGDU Mailing List
Cc: Kerri Stovall
Subject: [nagdu] Defiant poodles running away from corrections

Hi all,
As most of you may know, my husband and I both received poodles from Pilot
Dogs back in April. We have just begun to let them off leash in the house as
of a couple weeks ago, and I do know that this is just the beginning of
their learning process for house manners. So, my question is this. How can
we keep them from running from us when they know we are unhappy with their
behavior. Here's a little of an idea of what's happening. As I now
understand more fully, poodles are barkers, and they will bark at anything
they hear or see that they are interested in, so pulling shades down doesn't
work because the shades are already down, but they bark mostly at audible
noises, like the air conditioning unit rattling or something like that. It's
not every minute or anything like that, but it's often enough and they keep
it up long enough to get to interfering with things. So when we tell them
quiet several times and it doesn't work, then we will try calling them to
us, but of course they know they are not behaving so they run the opposite
way, even if the word no is used for other things than barking, any kind of
misbehaving they will run away from us when we want to call them to us to
distract them. They also will try to play with us by jumping around just out
of reach, when they know we are unhappy with them. So I'm wondering, is it
time to go back on leash for a while? I want to be able to do instant
corrections or whatever else I can do with my dog, and I'm not sure if Lee
will be up for it, but I hope so, so that he can get a handle on it. They
are stellar dogs when they're apart, but when together their come command
needs a lot of work because alb they want to do is play. lol.  Now my dog,
she will still run away from me even when Lee isn't home or when his dog is
elsewhere in the house, if she knows that I'm about to get onto her for
something. I never correct her for coming to me though, I make sure the come
command is always rewarded instead of corrected. But I just want her to come
to me so that I can distract her from whatever she's doing wrong. Any help
would be great. Thank you to all.
Kerri and Sadie

Sent from my iPhone