[nagdu] how offten?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jun 25 18:10:05 UTC 2015

I try to go out every day, though sometimes miss a day.  When I don't have
to go in to the office, it's often short trips--4 blocks out and the same
back, 1-3 trips in a day.  Sometimes I walk around the backstreets of my
neighborhood.  Some day soon, I intend to walk around a different
neighborhood I'm not so familiar with, but that means paying close attention
to which streets have regular traffic and listening hard for barking dogs.
A friend of mine lives in that general area, and her neighbor has a vicious
dog who has killed a small dog, so that makes me nervous about venturing
over that way.
And sometimes we take a good, long walk to a nice restaurant or bar, or go
shopping.  Krokus seems to get enough exercise, though he'd happily get
more.

Many years ago now, when I was hit by a car and my dog was killed, my mother
gave me back my retired dog to hold my hand and help me out in the Big City.
She'd been retired a year.  She still remembered everything, and was as good
a guide as when I retired her, meaning she was not very speedy, and had some
things I had to be mindful of, but she still did her old job just fine.
I've also had physical problems a couple times, recovering from injuries,
that have kept me from working the dog much for a month or so, and they've
been fine.  However, they like regular work, and, in my experience, the more
especially a young dog works, the sharper it is.  Like, when I play my harp
every day, I play better than when I've been away a week or two.
Tracy